Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Class Update

The end of the first term of the semester. This means that there is a week long vacation, which I already went on, and a surge of grades coming back the week after. I don't really know why I haven't talked about my classes much - sorry everyone!

Art History - We had a new professor come in halfway through. This is a typical practice for courses that hold a big syllabus. One specializes in one part and one for another. Our old teacher was a elderly Dutch lady who talked barely above the volume of a mouse. Our new teacher is a crazy fifty-something who obviously enjoyed her time in the 60s. We've learned that San art (old traditional paintings found in caves in Southern Africa) are depictions of people induced by trance. She then asked/told us about various trance methods, tools, and techniques. Everyone was a little shocked until she said there is a test on Thursday. So much for the free experience of no work with only sushine, flowers, and bees for grades. We now have a fieldwork project where we examine different works of art in the Natal Museum. Fertility statues, ritual masks, and trance paintings. The library isn't extensive here and my background in art is limited so let's hope that there are some scholarly articles that I can quote!

Film Studies - Studying Hollywood films and learning new camera techniques. The class is somewhat easy until you have to work in groups. Then, after countless meanings where no one knows what to do, you end up with a completed project. This class is difficult in a way as you are tested on glossary terms and storyboarding. This class is good though because I feel like I've learned the things that my last film class teacher just assumed we knew.

Relgions in Africa - Just had a guest professor from Rice University who talked about similarites in hoodoo and voodoo in the South and traditional African religions. The discussion became very interested as we discussed their relations to Christianity and how they have basically reacted in the same exact fashion albeit a hundred years or so apart. Reminded me of my South African History professor from UCSD who said that South Africa is like the US, only half a century behind. This class is probably my most interesting class. I have an essay due soon so I hope that will go well.

Policy Issues and Community Service - My community service internship at the Salvation Army. The professor is probably the worst I've had in my life. The class has guest lecturers almost every week and we're having a class braai this Saturday. 40 hours of volunteer work, two tests, a research project, and a presentation all due very very soon.

Those are my classes. Tomorrow, I'll give you all a rundown on my trip to Swaziland, Kruger Nat'l Park, and Mozambique!

No comments: