Wednesday, October 24, 2007

From One Corner of the World to Another

On a lamp post near an intersection in a residential area of Pietermaritzburg, a small placard read, "Many Flee US Fires." Yes, California has officially arrived in South Africa. I feel like Frodo Baggins, ready to head back to the Shire, which has been ravaged by flames. California has become the center of world attention.

Good news is that everyone I know is safe. I know some people who have been evacuated and I know that UCSD is closed for the week. I'm pretty proud of the stories come out to me, though - stories of people giving each other places to stay, volunteer work, and food and water runs. I hope no one's house burns down. I just saw a picture of a cabin from Running Springs in flames so I'm not too sure how well my old house is doing there.

I wish I could send some of the rain that we've been getting here over to the States. Every morning, the sun is out and it is hot. By mid-afternoon, the clouds roll in for a frightening thunderstorm. We had hail yesterday and I saw lightning hit the ground about a hundred meters from my dorm room. As I type, ominous clouds are rolling in and thunder can be heard in the distance. Weather, it seems, is determined to make life difficult. Here and in California.

No comments: