Thursday, November 15, 2007

Headlines

Sorry about the lack of posts. I'm in the midst of writing exams and paying off housing fees so that's taking up a lot of my time.

Exciting news! My friends and I made the Pietermaritzburg paper! We had a full-page article on page 7 under the 'Travel' section for our spring break road trip. One of our drivers, Zam, is a writer for the paper, "The Witness." All of a sudden - we had our very own article! I bought a copy so I'll have to show everyone when I get home.

Sad news... One of the American students at UKZN in Durban (not Becca) was raped this past week. We were all shooken up by it because the news on the t.v. didn't tell us which campus. After checking up with all of the girls at PMB and Becca, a mixed feeling of relief and sorrow filled our hearts. We're all on edge because we're so close to the end and we don't want anything bad to happen now. I hope that girl has strong friends around her but the whole situation just sucks. South Africa is a country that has one of the highest amounts of rape. Usually, though, it's between people that have a previous knowledge of one another. I don't know any details about this case but there is just no excuse for this behavior. It's this kind of thing that can really dampen the image of a country.

No comments: