Monday, August 6, 2007

Determination

When I decided to go to South Africa to study, there was one course that I was extremely excited and motivated to take: Religions in Africa. I contacted the professor to determine where and when this course was. He replied that there would be a meeting where we would decide on a time that was suitable for everyone in the class. After three such meetings where the professor didn't show up, I decided that as soon as I found him, I would not leave his presence until a time and date was established. It worked. He stated that the faculty was debating over whether or not the class was going to happen since there were very few students in it. He asked if I really wanted to take the class and I said that I did. I then pulled out my timetable and we decided on a time and place - his office, the only place I've ever found him. Finally. Finally, all four of my classes are taken care of.

Art History. Screen Studies. Policy Issues and Community Service. Religions in Africa.

I also have my community service internship worked out. I'm going to be volunteering at a Salvation Army children's home. This home is an orphanage for abused and HIV/AIDS positive children. It should be a humbling and challenging experience.

I went to Durban this weekend. It took 3 combis, 2 hours, and 45 rand to get there. The problem was that it wasn't exactly the safest trip. On the way home, I took a bus (like Greyhound and as adequate) which was 50 rand and much safer. My girlfriend is doing well. Her place is nice and very secure. Her roommates are very friendly and easy-going. I think she is going to do well with her living arrangements.

We went out Friday night to a club called "80's." It wasn't the best club and we probably won't go back but it was fun nevertheless. Don't worry, it was definitely not Tijuana dancing (which is gross and makes you wonder about the end of mankind). My girlfriend and I avoided the drunk stage of alcohol (I avoided alcohol altogether...I still haven't found something I like, which is probably a good thing considering my addictive personality) and we also avoided getting shot by drug dealers. Those guys are everywhere. When the taxi stops, dealers come up to the window and ask if you want some. Find a person selling metallic flowers at 4am, you find that's not all he's selling. By the way, they all have guns. It's ridiculous and scary and I don't know why people chance it but they do. However, it is not the only thing that is in abundance in South Africa.

Chicken is the staple food of South Africa. You have it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Grease and chicken. And rice. It's very cheap so that's why a lot of people eat it. I just wish there was a little more variety. Where's the steak?

There is a holiday on Thursday. National Women's Day. My girlfriend is going to see if she can come up on Wednesday and visit me. This weekend, we are thinking about going to a game reserve. I am going to work on getting pictures uploaded this week so keep an eye out for that.

P.S. I love samosas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what are samosas or is that completely ignorant?

--rachel

i love you

Anonymous said...

Lol, I looked up samosas on wikipedia. I think I've had them before and liked them. Good to know you haven't become a raging alcoholic, I was worried :-P

Zac