Friday, July 27, 2007

Cold Yet Safe

Hello everyone! I made it to South Africa without too much trouble. Two very long 9hr flights have left me in the clouds...jet lag is not fun! Anyways, I have a decent room which has a bed, sink, lots of storage space, a desk, a chair, and a window. It is very very cold here at night! Southern hemisphere = winter! Luckily, I brought a few long sleeve shirts. It actually gets pretty warm during the mid portion of the day so it's very difficult to plan what to wear.

I did get in touch with my girlfriend and her housing situation is kind of weird right now. She's staying at a house with a bunch of international students because the on-campus housing isn't open/available yet. They told her good things today and she was able to register for classes. I also registered for classes. Lots of red tape and roundabouts and missing information. Welcome to Africa. Everything has slowed down considerably. Which is nice. But when you want to add classes and it takes a few hours, you miss the fast-pace of America.

I am getting along with the international kids (mainly the 3 from California). It's a fun group and we're going out to dinner tonight. We have a bus tour around Pietermaritzburg tomorrow and then a trip to a Zulu cultural village on Sunday. Classes start Monday and I just realized that I need to go to the store to get some paper/pencil/etc.

Anyways, that's what has happened so far. Thank you for your prayers and I shall update you all soon!

No comments: