Monday, July 30, 2007

A Snail's Pace

This place moves as fast its internet connection: slow. I woke up this morning with two scheduled classes. I woke up with one class that didn't have a time or place. It took me about an hour to find someone for each department for each class. For some buildings, it was hard enough finding the right door to go in (one said, "try side door" while another said, "go in through main entrance). I finally attended an art history class, taught by an elderly woman who speaks softly and likes the lecture hall dimmed to a cave-like atmosphere. I think it will be my favorite class.

Organization and efficiency are definetly not South Africa's strong points. People litter on the streets to give others jobs to do. To register for a class, you have to get approved by the administration, travel to the head of the department's office for a signature, ask for UC approval, and then back to the administration where they review and ultimately tell you whether or not you can take that class. Housekeeping shows up in your apartment at 7am. They make toast. They sit on the couch. They talk. They will clean windows today but it is no big hurry. This is South Africa. You learn patience. You learn to let things happen.

It has been fun trying to figure out what to do and where to go. I know that I will figure everything out and that it will all work.

I just found out that my girlfriend is registering right now.

Yep. It all works out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those housekeepers sound hilarious. People would flip out if they made toast in someones kitchen here. Anyways, sounds like a fun first day of school.

-Zac

Anonymous said...

Hey, at least they do windows, haha.
Love mom