Saturday, July 21, 2007

Here I Go!

So I have just a few days before I leave for South Africa. Tuesday, I will be traveling for about 2 days. OH boy...I just hope that the leg room is adequate. Anyways, when I get to South Africa, I will be meeting with an advisor and getting an orientation about the way school and society is run. After that, I get to see how it really is.

There is a computer lab on campus so I hope that I will be able to access this website from there. I'm almost 99% positive that this will work.

I have one big favor for everyone that is reading this. I am really excited to go but I have one major worry: safety. I have a feeling of what to expect and it's not all that bright. So I hope the country is different from what I am anticipating because I really do not want to get mugged, shot, or kidnapped. So, with a prayer, a thought, a blessing, etc., please ask for safety.
(Recent world events have not made this trip any less foreboding)

Now, I really am excited to go! It'll be life-changing and different and eye-opening. I just found out about this class that combines some poli sci with community service. I'm going to try to get into that class because it would be really fun to travel to all these different parts of the Natal region to help out people. The whole meeting people and connecting with them is probably my number one goal. I don't usually step outside of my shell until I get to know people so that will definitely be a challenge.

Last but certainly not least, my girlfriend is also going to South Africa. She's going to a school about forty-five minutes away so she and I will be making frequent visits to each other. I'll keep you posted about her experiences as well (I'm sure her mom would like that very much!).

So, I bid you all adieu. I will be talking to you all soon. Please bookmark this page and comment so I can get a little slice of home when I go online. Peace out!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you got some rest and have your housing ok. Lots of prayers from this side of the world are going your way.
Love Mom

Vix Pix said...

i will be praying for you! i miss you tons, and i can't wait until we can chat again. take care.