Sunday, July 29, 2007

So Much to Say!

Yesterday was definetly my best day in South Africa since I have been here. The first couple of days were a blur because I was stressed out (mainly for my girlfriend's situation, who is going to find housing on Wed. and hopefully get registered for classes on Monday) and hadn't really made any friends yet. But yesterday, I went on a tour of Pietermaritzburg (PMB) and got to see the jail where Gandhi was imprisoned, the city centre, and a Zulu village. All of this was done on a tour with all of the international kids. There are a lot of people from Germany and I've met some others from Canada, Norway, Singapore, and Zimbabwe. I'm really close with the others from the UC system and Rutgers since we have the same advisor. Our advisor took us out to dinner two nights ago and is taking us on a trip today.

Btw, I got to dance with the Zulus yesterday! I have some really good pictures that I hope I can share with you all soon. We ate goat meat (really good!!!) on the bus along with some crazy gooey bread which I appropiately titled, "Jello Bread."

For the remainder of today, I'm going to go get some groceries and other necessities and hope that I can find my classes tomorrow. Half of them don't have a lecture hall yet and one of them, I don't even know what time it is at. But that is pretty much how it is for everyone. I'm actually one of the lucky ones who has four classes approved. Many only have one or two classes and are going to have some extra work this week. Hey, it's Africa. This is how it goes. You learn to live with it and just be patient. God knows my girlfriend has. If it wasn't for her really close group of friends she's made and the fact that she's in a very nice and safe area, I would be pulling my hair out. I talked to her on the phone last night (we finally got our phones working) and she is having a good time regardless of all the difficulties. I'm probably going to take a trip to see her this weekend if her housing is all sorted out.

Well, this semester promises to be an interesting and challenging experience. I'm not even happy with this post because I feel as though I've left so much out. I'll just let you all know that I am having a good time despite missing you all terribly.

I will give you an update on my classes this week and let you know what school is like. I will also give you an idea of what my housing is like and what is in the surrounding area.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Man having things all up in the air sounds exciting and kinda refreshing. Not gonna lie, pretty jealous your having such a grand adventure without me. Say hello to Becca for me, I'll definitely miss you guys this upcoming quarter

-Zac